Kalgoorlie Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Kalgoorlie
Here is a list of renowned individuals who were born in the city of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia:
- Herb Elliott - Born on February 25, 1938, Herb Elliott is a former Australian middle-distance runner. He won the gold medal in the 1500 meters at the 1960 Rome Olympics, setting a new world record in the process.
- Graham Polly Farmer - Born on March 10, 1935, Graham Farmer was an Australian rules footballer often regarded as one of the greatest to have played the sport. He had a successful career, playing for both East Perth and Geelong Football Club.
- Arthur Franklin Payne - Born on February 1, 1880, Arthur Franklin Payne was a distinguished metallurgist known for his work in the mining industry. He served as the Director of Mines for Western Australia from 1921 to 1938 and made significant contributions to the field.
- John Joseph "Jack" Smorgon - Born on February 1, 1917, Jack Smorgon was a prominent Australian businessman and philanthropist. He played a significant role in the Smorgon Group, a large family-owned company involved in steel, agriculture, and other industries.
- Hannah Waller - Born on August 2, 1877, Hannah Waller was an Australian suffragette and feminist activist. She actively campaigned for women's rights and gender equality, playing an important role in the suffrage movement in Western Australia during the early 20th century.
- William "Bill" Marmion - Born on June 11, 1954, Bill Marmion is an Australian politician who served as a member of the Western Australian Legislative Assembly from 2008 to 2017. He held various ministerial positions, including Minister for Housing and Minister for Mines and Petroleum.
- Fanny Hines - Born in 1891, Fanny Hines was an Australian nurse known for her dedicated service during World War I. She volunteered with the Australian Army Nursing Service and cared for wounded soldiers in Egypt and France.
- Hubert Edward Opperman - Born on May 29, 1904, Hubert Opperman, commonly known as "Oppy," was an Australian racing cyclist and politician. He achieved numerous victories in long-distance cycling races, including the prestigious Paris-Brest-Paris race.
- Anthony John "Tony" Crook - Born on May 17, 1939, Tony Crook was an Australian politician and businessman. He represented the Western Australia Division in the Australian House of Representatives from 2010 to 2013 as a member of the National Party of Australia.
- May O'Brien - Born on April 9, 1929, May O'Brien is an Australian political activist and former politician. She served as a Member of the Legislative Council of Western Australia from 1973 to 1993 and actively campaigned for social justice and women's rights.